Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 21-26: Time flies when you're crazy!

Day 21:  03-22-2013
Day 22:  03-23-2013
Day 23:  03-24-2013
Day 24:  03-25-2013
Day 25:  03-26-2013
Day 26:  03-27-2013





Life has been a whirlwind of stress and crazy.  I cannot believe that I have not posted in the last 6 days.  More important, though, is the fact that I have NOT resorted to stress eating.  I blame the running.  The running has kept my focus well away from the stress and the food.  That and my new found aversion to all things animal hasn't hurt.  Sometimes just finding the right place to focus your energies can quite literally mean the difference between life and death.  Let's face it, the typical american is slowly eating themselves to death on a daily basis.  It's amazing how even switching one meal a day to plant based fair can change your outlook and stress levels.  There is something in getting enough nutrients in your body that improves your well being.

On a side not, I have discovered how easy it is to claim the "vegan" lifestyle and still eat like crap.  I have been surprised how many bits of junk food out there don't contain animal products.   However, those other foods are highly processed extractions that don't provide any nutritional benefit.  Nutrient density is the key.  That is why when I tell others about my eating habits, I simply state that I enjoy plant based whole foods.  Whole being the key word. I will expound when queried, otherwise I don't say much else about it.  I don't want to be that "crazy hippie vegan".  I live a life filled with labels.  I work with kids who have more labels than I have years experience.  Labels are not always the answer.  Sometimes they make the problems worse.       

Anyways, I think that so much of our way of life in the west is actually based around boredom.  Sure, we call it leisure time, but too much of that and we don't know what to do.  So we look for ways to fulfill that need and eating gives us something to do.  I know I do it all the time.  Its normal for me to be sitting down to watch a movie and have a "need" for something to munch on.  Sometimes veggies fill that need, sometimes they don't.  I am constantly in search of healthy alternatives to help me break the cycle.  For example, I have found a recipe for roasted chickpeas that is delightful and super healthy.

I am going to go back to my busy life now.  I think it helps the more I post, but sometimes I just don't have much to say.  I imagine I should focus on posting every other day or something.  More as the thoughts come to me.

My overall update will be coming on day 30.  I will post a picture of me when I started side by side in the same clothing 30 days later.  I will also post an official weight change.  I am already starting to see a difference in my physical, emotional, and intellectual self.  I want to keep this going.


Stats for Days 21-22:

Foods:
Varied plant based meals including tons of complex carbs, plant proteins in every form, whole grains, and fruits/veggies across the color spectrum.

Movement:
Lots of intervals (love'm) and a few days on the elliptical (weather/time).

No comments:

Post a Comment