Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 5: Fear and the Snoozemonster

Day 5:  03-06-2013

It has been an eventful, albeit stressful, day at work. Usually at this point I have stress eaten my way through a large pizza, a box of cookies or half a carton of ice cream.  And sometimes, a combination of them all.

Not today.   Nope.  Today I have stayed true to my food choices.   It will not be me again.  I wonder how many times I am going to need to tell myself before it sinks in.  Probably a few thousand more times.  Changing a lifetime of unhealthy choice probably isn't going to happen tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, now that will be a real test.  Even more so than stress eating.  You see, this morning was first "rest" day.  I worked hard this week.   My legs were feeling it this morning.  They needed a break.  Afterall, I don't want my all to turn into nothing.  I am about to face my first fight with history.  We're talking about the almighty snooze button.  Mankind's worst invention, right behind Furby that is.  It has the power to bring us comfort and solace in the wee hours of the morning.  It has the power to make us feel in control of our day.  It has the power to make us late.  The power to make us miss our workouts, fill us with regret and guilt, begin our day with stress and pain and longing.  Yes, I hate the snooze button.  It is the bane of my existence.  I fear that it will win.  I fear that I will remember my blankets warm, comforting embrace as I did this morning and many morning before.

But maybe, just maybe, I will remember that the snoozemonster is lying to me.  That even though it says that it loves me.  It says that 10 more minutes will be the perfect time to get up.  It says that alot.  Usually every 10 minutes.  I will find out in the morning how powerful the written word can be.  I will discover something about myself and this process in the morning.  Will putting my fears in writing for others to see give that edge that I need to slay the snoozemonster?

I'll let you know tomorrow.  For today, I am just pleased to have made it through in tact.  I made it through the offers of Girl Scout Cookies and Caramelized Popcorn.  The birthday cupcakes and leftover Valentine's candy still floating around.   The tasty, crunchy, salty, Doritos offered to me near my moment of weakness.   But I said no.  I held strong.  I thought about having to post about it.  And that one thought lead me to a thought.  A bit of wisdom I read on the interwebs the other day.  If your good can go bad, it's good for you.  If it can't go bad, it's bad for you.  Seem's like pretty good advice.  


Day 5 is nearly done as I post this.  I am ready to own Day 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment